Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spreading the news

Posted by Kate at 5:22 PM
I had so much fun telling my students the good news today!  The reactions I received were pretty wonderful.  

One guitar class was somewhat unenthused... and they proceeded to suggest I name the child their name (first and last. Not the brightest bulbs...).

The other guitar class was really excited.  One kid guessed right away because he thought he overheard me telling Carl (our wonderful chorus teacher) a few weeks ago.  He said he wasn't sure so he didn't tell anyone. They asked actual questions and were psyched.  

Orchestra was really excited.  I had to tell them in two groups because some kids were going to be filming something in the PAC.  I told those kids first while they were in my office.  Cheers all around.  I told the rest of the orchestra in the form of a hangman on the board.  "Mrs. Comeau is having a baby in August!"  Ironically they got "baby" completely spelled out in three moves and totally lost it and started clapping.  It's neat to have the support of those terrific kids. 

Fourth grade was excited too.  They got the hangman puzzle too, but of course they're in fourth grade so they spelled most of it out before guessing.  Cheers there too.  

Great day!  I posted a picture of a green olive on my office door, and intend to change it as the weeks go by. I'm also posting a big piece of chart paper inside my office (because if it's outside my office someone will write something inappropriate and/or draw a penis on it...) where the kids can write down baby name suggestions.  They liked that idea too.  

The fun continues!

4 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

That's funny that they wanted you to use their last names too. I worked for a company many years ago where we had lots of people whose first name was doctor! They were Indian and it was a tradition to name the child after who delivered it!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, this is just so awesome. I love the Hangman reveal idea! One of the saddest parts about moving this summer was the fact that my students didn't get to meet our little babe after he was born. We're planning a trip back so that I can take Linc to school :) Congratulations again!!!!

Libby said...

BABY NAME STORY: A mother tells her son that he is going to have a baby brother soon, and that he gets to help pick out a name for him.

"I might name him after my dad..." the mother muses.

"Your going to name the baby 'Grandpa!?!'" replies the son.

Sorry for the bad joke, but I heard it somewhere and it struck me as funny :)

Anonymous said...

So I was telling my friend at work about the picture on your door and the name suggestion paper and she loved the idea and is going to start to do it too! :) She just told the kids today and they were wicked excited.

Post a Comment

 

Kate's Cradle Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea